Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Speedy Solution

Been busy - shut up...

Now I have to admit when I began thinking about doing a blog I had visions of the funniest most irreverent blog in the bloggersphere... not a psuedo current affairs 'I have all the answers' type blog. Problem is I can't help myself...

I caught a bit of Australian story last night. Not sure if you did but if you didn't here's a short précis: Group of mates in car. Car speeding. Car crashes. One kid dies. Driver sent to jail. Dead kid's dad loses plot and murders driver's mum before killing himself.
An awful story. Tragic. Sad. But, unfortunately, apart from the subsequent murder not uncommon.

In this case the driver was drunk and speeding. You're never going to be able to legislate to prevent people doing stupid things. But what I don't understand is why nothing is done to stop putting in young people's hands things that are designed to break the law.

In NSW the top speed by law anywhere in the state is 110kph. Even my gutless Toyota echo has a top speed far in excess of that. Why, when we legislate that the top speed is 110kph do we allow vehicles on the roads capable of exceeding these speed limits without breaking sweat?

I am by no means advocating a nanny state. By all means I agree that people should be responsible for their own actions. BUT ONLY when those actions don't have the capacity to harm innocent people.

When a dog mauls a small kid there is outcry. When it happens a couple of times the entire breed of dog is banned. Fireworks were fun but a couple of idiots blow off their hands so they're forbidden. Yet HUNDREDS of people keep dying each year due to excessive speed yet there is no discussion about limiting the top speed of vehicles on our roads. I am sure it is possible to not inhibit the performance of the car by limiting the top speed. By all means set it 10kmph over the speed limit 'just in case', I don't care. But you want to stop a p-plater travelling at 180kph? Don't give him a car that goes 180 kph. Simple really.

If you want to speed then set up race days where people can go and speed in a controlled environment not on the roads where you put your life, the lives of your passengers and the lives of other road users at risk.

Anyway - that's what I reckon.

Rant over.

p.s God I miss fireworks. How good were throw downs and jumping jacks...??? or those parachute men...

3 comments:

  1. What if we enforced those defensive driver courses when people were on their L's? It teaches you about safe breaking, how to maneuver your vehicle in all kinds of conditions and speeds safely etc. Even teaches things like how to set up your mirrors better to eradicate the 'blind spot' - I know it won't stop dickheads speeding, but if there's another dickhead on the road speeding, at least you'll know how to swerve around them and not get killed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracker night went off like a frog in a sock in our family. We used to light a big bonfire at my Aunt and Uncle's place who backed onto the National Park in Killarney Heights - ahh, the good old days.

    A big bonfire, seemingly limitless sparklers and an awesome array of digit destroyers. But you know, noone got an eye out, noone lost a digit or a limb. But everyone got marshmallows roasted on the bonfire.

    And throw downs were the absolute best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mh I'm with you, albeit living in Germany. NO SPEED LIMIT AT ALL!250 is okay if your car is that fast. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete